HP3000-L Archives

February 1995, Week 2

From:
Jack White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jack White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 1995 13:39:29 GMT
As I read some of the messages posted on this forum, I realize that I am out of
my league, so bear with me on this.

<< BACKGROUND >>
I am a programmer for a school district in central Ohio.  We have users
accessing an HP3000 935 MPEix 4.0 system.  Remote users access via a DTC.
Some of the remote users are dial-up (modem, phone line, etc.) while other
users in this office are direct connects.  We also have users that access
the DTC through a digital link.  I believe this link is referred to as an
X.25 connection.

<< QUESTIONS/CONCERNS >>
When the X.25 remote users (using dumb terminals) enter the file equation;
FILE PRINTER=$STDLIST, then run the program that generates output, they
receive a file violation message.  All other remote users are given the
requested output at their local printers.  If the file equation;
FILE PRINTER;DEV={LDEV #} is used for the X.25 users, output is sent to
their screen and the keyboard remains locked until reset is pressed.

We just upgraded from 2.2 to 4.0 in the past week.  I have contacted
Ameritech only to be told that this is a software issue.  I don't understand
why there is a difference for these remote users if the digital line just
tranmits data.  Doesn't the dial-up users and direct connect users "just
transmit data".  Do I have a problem at the DTC level?

Let me also include this.  We had a couple of computers installed at remote
locations that are dial-up.  We kept receiving "terminal not a 264X" error
message.  I replaced the modems in these computers with a different brand
and now everything works fine.  I receive this same error message on the
remote terminals that are on the digital line.

I will appreciate any insight on this matter.  Thanks in advance,
Jack ([log in to unmask])