HP3000-L Archives

February 1995, Week 2

From:
David Greer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 1995 15:40:00 PST
Everyone in R&D at Robelle works at home. We dial in generally at
19.2K using US Robotics modems using R1WIN as our terminal emulator.
We find it increasingly difficult to live without network access (well
at least I do). Does anyone have suggestions for what's the best way
to go about networking our at-home PCs to the office network?

Our main goals would be to connect to our HP-UX and MPE machines. To
me this implies sending TCP/IP over the modem. SLIP or PPP is the
usual solution here. Of course, there's no SLIP for MPE. We had enough
problems getting our Internet connection working over SLIP (even with
Ross Scroggs and Randy Medd walking us through it) that I wouldn't
rush into trying to use the HP-UX ppl software (this is HP's SLIP
implementation).

We recently installed Windows NT. It's Remote Access Service (RAS)
allows remote users access the server using NETBEUI. This is great,
but it doesn't let me connect to our HP-UX and MPE machines. Recently,
the Trumpet Winsock was enhanced to support dialing out over a modem.
I have a Windows NT FAQ that shows how to configure RAS for SLIP. Has
anyone tried running R1WIN over Trumpet Winsock dial-up with Windows
NT as the server?

I gave WRQ RNS a try on WFWG 3.11 with RAS in the hope that WFWG 3.11
would support enough networking to make all of this work. Needless to
say, it didn't work, but WRQ did say that RAS support for NDIS
(version 2 I think) is suppose to part of Windows '95 RAS. Should I
just wait for that?

We can't be the only ones that have this need. Remote computing is a
way of life for many people. I know that many HP3000-L readers have a
PC at home. Do you feel like me that half the things that you are used
to are missing when you are home?

Feel free to e-mail comments directly to me and I'll summarize
whatever I find out for the list.

Thanks,

David <[log in to unmask]>