HP3000-L Archives

February 1995, Week 1

From:
Michael Hensley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Hensley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 1995 23:24:46 GMT
On Mon, 6 Feb 1995 16:41:00 -0600, David W. Martin posted:
: All:

: Ok I figured out what had happened. I used long integers where I should have
: just used regular integers. That caused the HPCIPUTVAR command to not
: work...why? I don't know since all variables were initialized. You would
think
: that an integer 2 was the same as a longint 2?!?!? Now what is the trick to
: getting the following to work...

Someone else explain this one.  I'm not up to a course on parameter passing
at the moment.  Short answer: if you pass 4 bytes when the Intrinsic expects
2, several wrong things are bound to happen...

: Job code...

: !Job TEST
: !Run Rename utility to produce system var MMDD = 0127  (for example)
: !comment
: !Run DISCMGR...
: MPETODOS Source to Destination!MMDD;replace;move
: :
: :
: EXIT
: !EOJ

: The rename utility creates a system var MMDD why doesn't the value of MMDD
get
: replaced into the MPETODOS line? Is there some trick I'm missing? I thought
: that was possible - I know it is with StreamX unfortunately when I stream the
: job I do not know the value of MMDD until AFTER the job runs the rename
: utility. StreamX needs the variable to be defined prior to streaming the job.

Ok, here's the deal:

Variable substitution is a function of the command interpreter (CI.PUB.SYS).
When you pass a line of input to a program in a job, the CI does NOT see the
line, and can't do variable substitution within the line.

Here's a solution without MPEX:

!echo MPETODOS Source to Destination!MMDD;replace;move >tempfile
!echo ... >>tempfile
!echo EXIT >>tempfile
!run DISCMGR; STDIN=*tempfile

Warning: depending on the program, you may have to issue a file equate to
make "tempfile" 80-byte fixed length records.

Here's the MPEX solution:

!RUN MPEX.PUB.VESOFT
%RUNCREATE DISCMGR
%RUNINPUT MPETODOS Source to Destination!MMDD;replace;move
%RUNINPUT ...
%RUNINPUT EXIT
%RUNACTIVATE
%EXIT

Hope this helps!
--
Michael D. Hensley       | "the Internet...in the right hands it is a
[log in to unmask]      | wondrous tool, and in the wrong hands it is