HP3000-L Archives

January 1995, Week 4

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 1995 20:11:34 -0400
 In  Eero Laurila <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> Chris Bartram ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
> : The TCP/IP stack (aka LanLink) has been available since early MPE/V days. W
> : have it running on various MPE/V machines as well as MPE/iX. Don't recall
> : the product numbers, and it's impossible (programatically) to determine if
> : it's (LanLink) present
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>   Maybe it's not that impossible.  I haven't got a system without networking
>   available to me but if some of you have, you can test this out further.
>
>   They way to do it programmatically is to try dynamically either load or
>   resolve a reference to a procedure/function that resides in nl.pub.sys
>   and is only present when networking is installed.  As said, I haven't got
>   a system without networking but a relatively good guess is the presence
>   or lack of for any of the tcp_... arp... net... procedures in nl.pub.sys.

I've tried variations of this. It's been a while though, but we found that on
MPE/V boxes, the routines LOADPROC'd (on a machine with no network), but
aborted the calling process when called. Not very nice.

Anyway, when I called the RC for suggestions, the best they came up with was
looking for nft.net.sys or ftp.arpa.sys and assuming the link software was
there if either NS or Ftp was on the system... *sigh* Maybe it's not
impossible, but it sure isn't straightforward...

At least come 5.0 push, we'll know it's there just by verifying the OS
version...

                -Chris Bartram