HP3000-L Archives

January 1995, Week 4

Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 1995 09:15:00 CST
Hello, Dave

|I have a 2564b printer that I am running off my PC's serial port.
|Printouts come from an HP3000, over a modem, and are re-directed to my
|COM1.  I can get the 2564b to run off my serial port no problem and at
|9600 and 4800 baud I can get two or three pages no problem, (one full
|buffer I suspect), but past that it loses data and prints only parts of
|the remainder of the printout.  When I use the DOS Mode command to slow
|my serial port down to 2400 baud, it prints all the data, but at a
|significantly reduced speed.  Does anyone know of a configuration
|setting for the printer that will allow this printer to run off a PC's
|serial port at 4800 baud or better?

I suspect that the PC serial port is trying to use hardware flow control and
is ignoring the Xon/Xoff flow control the printer is trying to use.  I would
try setting the printer to use hardware flow control (via the front panel,
but I don't recall the exact procedure, however, it should be in the manual
for the printer).  This would also require your cable to have the correct
pinout for the hardware signals (again, I don't recall).

An alternative may be to switch the PC to use Xon/Xoff, if possible.  This
would work without the extra connections in the cable.  I prefer the hardware
flow control where possible as it is more robust and flexible for dealing
with binary data such as bitmaps.
--
[log in to unmask] (Jeff Woods at Unison Software) [PGP key available]
We have a criminal jury system which is superior to any in the world; and its