HP3000-L Archives

January 1995, Week 4

From:
Bill Lancaster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Lancaster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 1995 23:29:23 PST
Oddly enough, I agree that it would be profitable to have someone give a
15-minute introduction to Glance.  This is even considering my obvious
self-interest in third-party system performance tools.  It would be nice
to have some honorable mention during the dialog (or even an opportunity
to discuss other possibilities) but the most important issue is the
continuing education in the need to monitor and evaluate.

But don't just stop at Glance.  It would be good to cover, broadly, the
gamet of performance considerations.  Issues such as capacity planning,
database management, disk fragmentation (with a "k" please!! :) ) etc.
should have some mention.  Network performance is also most noteworthy.

I would also suggest that Netbase/Shareplex receive significant
consideration as a *performance* solution.  We have, on many occasions
recommended Netbase as a better long-term solution that continually
pushing the envelope on the HP3000 high-end solutions (as good as they
are, sometimes they just aren't timely enough).

Bill Lancaster
Lund Performance Solutions

In this case, my opinions do, in fact, represent those of my employer!