HP3000-L Archives

January 1995, Week 4

From:
Kirby Joss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kirby Joss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 1995 09:36:36 -0500

Agreed.  I couldn't believe my ears when I heard Kriss Rant say (in
effect) that WFWG wasn't worth HP's time.  Targeting a vaporware OS
for your software will come back to bite you, folks.  We have NO need
for Chicago, and don't foresee migrating to it.

How many others on the list think this decision is a mistake?

--Jim

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
   HP's view of the present PC world seems out of touch with reality in
more regards that just ODBC. HP's printer drivers also pretty much ignore
WFWG, and the drivers supplied with the jetdirect cards only run in real
mode. We haven't had any major problems with 3.1 drivers not working
with WFWG, nor have we ventured into ODBC. The printer issue has
been a minor pain, sometimes avoided by adding a parallel cable. :-(
    Most PC vendors are shipping all new PC's with WFWG 3.11, and so
that is all our shop is installing ( on many hundreds of PC's). With the
steadily slipping shipping of Windows9x, we (and several other shops)
are viewing our migration path as WFWG-> NT. HP has chosen to
support history and vaporware platforms.

Coffee's on, HP...   time to wake up.

-Kirb