HP3000-L Archives

January 1995, Week 4

Date:
Sun, 22 Jan 1995 13:30:24 -0500
Hi Jeff,

We began doing the same thing a couple of years ago; except our IBM boxes
are going out the door in a year.

You have already started on the right (or left if you are a lefty) foot by
getting this list. In my opinion, this list is the most important resource
in 3k world.

The one piece of advice I have for you, though,  is to look at the MPE
boxes positively. Our biggest problem is getting rid of the "Big Blue"
glasses when we have a problem to solve. Do not say this is how I did it
on "Brand X", instead say, this is "WHAT" I did. And ask, how do I get the
same result on MPE? You'll be surprised at the things that you can do on
these machines.

We are a standard IBM shop, with all the red tape you could ever want.
Yet, we have been fairly successful at the HP conversion. We even
formalized the promotion to production procedures. We download FCB and
CHARS files to an IBM3800 printer from the 3k without operator
intervention. We also talk to Big Blue via an SNA link with NRJE, LU6.2
(rather be doing sockets), and IMF.

If you have any specific questions, do not hesitate to call me or email me
:

Carlos M. Valdes
Miami Herald
(305) 376-3038

See ya and good luck -

Carlos Manuel

BTW: On HP JCL you can do And's and Or's.