HP3000-L Archives

January 1995, Week 4

From:
Gilles Schipper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]> writes:

>WRQ technical support claims the problem is caused by the existance
>of an 8250 UART chip. Running MSD (Microsoft Diagnostics) reports
>the computers having this chip. However, the hardware guys claim
>that the serial I/O is intigrated into the mother board and no such
>chip exists in these PCs.

I've seen somewhere that MSD will report just about anything, including
the wrong kind of chip, if run from a DOS window (seems MSD sees the
windows COMM driver, not the actual chip itself). If at all possible,
run MSD straight from the DOS prompt, or better [...]42_23Jan199510:20:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 1995 13:47:44 EST
<I am in the process of renewing my support contract.  I'm a little leary
<of pulling ARPA support.  I asked my Contract Administrator to call me
<with HP's official position on this.  No call yet, but it was taken off
<the contract proposal!
<
<That may be the easiest part.  What happens when we call PICs for support?

I don't think the response centre knows what subsystems you are running -
or entitled to run - when you place a call.

In any case, I suppose there something to be said for erring on the side of
caution. Like I said earlier, your mileage may vary.

Gilles Schipper
GSA, Inc.
Tel: 905/889-3000
Fax: 905/889-3001