HP3000-L Archives

January 1995, Week 4

From:
Barry Lloyd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barry Lloyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 1995 17:05:44 -0500
>   One of my customers is trying to find out if ASK Manman and OMAR
>    (version 8.2) is supported on MPE 5.0. Anyone have experience
>    using these versions (or other versions) of Manman or OMAR on 5.0?
>    Apparently, her support contacts at the company are NOT providing
>    her with adequate information.

>    Please email comments to me directly or feel free to call. It
>    would be nice to put her in touch with some other ASK customers on
>    this issue.

>    Thanks.

>    John Kelly
>    Kelly Computer Systems
>    206-489-0600

 * * * * * *     U P D A T E     * * * * * * *

John ,

I just got off the phone with CA (ASK). The call back that I recieved
from CA was in question to whether there were any problems between
IMAGE/SQL and the MANMAN product ( though I had a pretty good Idea
before I called them that it shouldn't , due to the reason that IMAGE/SQL
is supposed to sit on top of TurboIMAGE databases and make the proper
calls to TurboIMAGE ). Lo and behold the person who returned the call
said that "from another source" ( one of their tech lab people ) that
there "could" be problems. After some length of conversation with the
person amidst finding out that she is not all that familiar with
TurboIMAGE anyway , she mentioned that another problem they were dealing with
was the soon to arrive 5.0 push of MPE/ix ! ! Again she said the people in the
tech lab were having problems with MANMAN and 5.0.
I'm not sure if CA is even sure if their product will work in a 5.0
environment.

Now because 5.0 is supposed to be a superset of prior versions of MPE/ix
one would tend to lean toward the conclusion that there should be no problems
with applications and operating system compatibility. My experiences with
HP in the past have been nothing short of positive and excellence so I
have a confident feeling about the release of 5.0.

I don't know what to expect with CA in the drivers seat of MANMAN.

I'm supposed to be getting another call back from the technician after she
checks with HP and some others about just what the impact will be . . . .

Are there any other users of MAMMAN out there who have gone to 5.0 that
can provide any insight here ? ? ? ?

Barry

Barry Lloyd
KEPS a Kodak Company