HP3000-L Archives

January 1995, Week 4

[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]> writes:

>WRQ technical support claims the problem is caused by the existance
>of an 8250 UART chip. Running MSD (Microsoft Diagnostics) reports
>the computers having this chip. However, the hardware guys claim
>that the serial I/O is intigrated into the mother board and no such
>chip exists in these PCs.

I've seen somewhere that MSD will report just about anything, including
the wrong kind of chip, if run from a DOS window (seems MSD sees the
windows COMM driver, not the actual chip itself). If at all possible,
run MSD straight from the DOS prompt, or better [...]42_23Jan199510:20:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 1995 09:02:50 PST8PDT
I'm always intrigued by depictions of what is perceived as "current" technology.

In the national Canadian "Globe and Mail" newspaper last Wednesday, an article about Internet
use was headed by a composite photo showing a new Microsoft "ergonomic" keyboard, and the sketch
of a monitor screen. In the screen was a photo of a person working at a computer terminal.

I'm sure that terminal was an old H-P 2626W!

Mike Millard

Mike Millard,                                ([log in to unmask])
Computer Services,                           (+1-604-986-1911, x2794)
Capilano College,
North Vancouver  BC                          CANADA   V7J 3H5