HP3000-L Archives

January 1995, Week 4

From:
David Lukenbill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 1995 16:12:00 +0000
Item Subject: Reply: Re: How do I break MPE s
([log in to unmask]) writes:

>  Actually, it's important for systems managers to know how people can
>attack your system.  I managed to snag a document on hacking the hp3000
>that was floating around on the Internet.  I forwarded this to Isaac,
>in the hopes that it could be useful material for SIGSYSMAN.  I considered
>sending it to this list, but have not done so up to this point.  Security
>through obscurity is certainly nonsense.

   I have to say that I agree 100% with the above statements.  My concern is
with providing this information to "non-systems" people.  I don't think this
kind of information should be openly available to anyone who wants it.  That
is, even though we may think our systems are fairly well protected, is it
responsible to discuss openly how to get into systems which aren't as well
protected?  Many sites have little or no security on their systems (for
whatever reason), and I'm not sure that we should provide information on how
to exploit that.  Quite possibly, SIGSYSMAN is the correct forum for these
issues.  I'll admit that there is a very thin line distinguishing how/when to
provide information, and to whom it should be provided.  If we know someone is
a system manager of an HP-3000, I DO feel we should provide them with this
kind of information so they can protect their system, and yes I too would be
interested in seeing the document you obtained.

David N. Lukenbill
US Naval Surface Warfare Center, Louisville
Phalanx Production Engineering