HP3000-L Archives

January 1995, Week 4

From:
John Dunlop <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Dunlop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 1995 06:55:06 GMT
[This note has been sent to the following InterNet address(es):
HP3000-L @ UTCVM.UTC.EDU
it has also been sent to the following JP Morgan address(es) :
      To : SSWPROD.OAS @ TRSSW
]

I have a requirement to set up a DTC port as a one-way channel to send messages
from an HP3000 922 to an RS/6000 system. The method I have started with is
using a message file as a buffer with a background job using a "While" loop
doing a "Print" command as a reader of the message file which then sends any
messages from the file to the port using a file equation (I am using the CI to
avoid using a programming language).

It works fine most of the time but every so often(seemingly random), the
"Print" command fails (HPCIERR 9080) as the port reports DEVICE UNAVAILABLE
(FSERR 55). My question is : If I only have one process accessing the port (the
background job) and I am almost 100% sure nothing is coming to the port from
the RS/6000(I haven't put an analyzer on it to make be 100% sure), what else
could be making the device unavailable ?? Is there some kind of port status
polling going on? If so, why should it make the device unavailable?

I realise that this is a fairly clumsy way to achieve my objective so if anyone
has any better ideas, I would certainly like to hear them.

John Dunlop ([log in to unmask])