HP3000-L Archives

January 1995, Week 3

From:
joe whitlock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
joe whitlock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jan 1995 05:30:52 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] (Steve Elmer) says:

>joseph whitlock ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>: I, have a question for all you MPEix folks.
>: We have FTP on MPEix VER 4.0
>: and we would like to be able to keep a user from
>: writing or deleteing files in the group about to be
>: described.
>
>  etc... etc...
>
>The user does not have SF capability, so creating files should not be a
>problem.  You just need to remove write access to existing files.
>: :
>
>I'm not sure this really addresses your problem, but it might be a start.
>
>Steve

Steve thank you for responding.  What we needed to consider was the
fact that most of our users are prevented from getting to a colon
prompt.  But in a couple of instances, logons used for batch
processing and logons for administrative work are given access to the
colon. These particular users are trusted users.  Jeff Kell responded
via Email suggesting that We use the AL security feature at the group
write level and do not give AL to the FTP user.  Since our trusted
group users all have AM capability they would still have all
the read and write capability for the group. The FTP user
would be restricted from writing or deleting.  I hope I accurately
repeated what Jeff said.  Thanks again to All! - Joe Whitlock

                         With best intentions,
                         Joe
Joe Whitlock         |Work Email [log in to unmask]
The Boeing Company   |Home Email [log in to unmask]
P.O. Box 3707        |Work Phone 206-234-1478
MS 6C-91             |Home Phone 206-248-9452
Seattle WA 98124     |Fax