HP3000-L Archives

January 1995, Week 3

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 1995 16:44:18 -0600
According to Wirt Atmar:

[stuff deleted]
> But most importantly, it not only completely removes all graphics load off of
> the HP3000 (the time to compose a page of exceedingly complex graphics and
> text consumes less than a 0.1 seconds of CPU time), it is an absolute
> standard that removes all device-dependent coding from the construction of
> the software resident on the HP3000. What's transmitted in PostScript is not
> a bit map but rather a mathematically perfect description of the object to be
> drawn; the individual PostScript printer renders the output at whatever
> quality it is capable.

[more stuff deleted]
> Wirt Atmar

Wirt,
This is really off the list topic, but it might clarify for some of us.
I have often heard good things about Postscipt, but it is not my
experience from using it with PCs and MS Windows.
If you know, why do MS Windows printer drivers take so long to
produce postscript and so little time to produce PCL?
Also, postscript seems to require mega-memory on printers compared
to PCL.
--
-- - - - Speaking for myself and not necessarily anybody else - - - - - -
Richard Gambrell        | Internet: [log in to unmask]