HP3000-L Archives

January 1995, Week 3

From:
"Tony B. Shepherd" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony B. Shepherd
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 1995 08:21:08 -0500
On Tue, 17 Jan 1995, Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Subject:      Re: *PLUG* - HP compat RAID
> Open hardware is different than open software - or so it seems to me.
> Posix, so far as I know, defines open software. SCSI is supposed to
> be an open standard for hardware, but MPE appears to be "special". The

But "open systems" (IMHO) should cover hardware as well as software.  If we
can't explain why HP's SCSI drive costs so much more than the drive at the
computer store (which HP says we can't use), we may not be able to get the
business solution robustness of a good operating system.

So (with my jaw out a bit) I say either don't call it a SCSI drive, or show
me how to hook up the one from the computer store.

And let's not try to limit hardware alternatives either.  The days of a
computer just sitting in a back room, and all communication with other
systems are weekly on magnetic tape are coming to a close.  More and more
the 3000 is part of a global peer-to-peer network.  Data interchange needs
will continue to grow - why shouldn't a RAID or DAT start looking less like
a peripheral and more like another computer system?

Just my .02  --  regards  --  Tony B. Shepherd  --  [log in to unmask]