HP3000-L Archives

January 1995, Week 2

From:
Larry Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 1995 05:49:27 -0800
Ken Sletten wrote:

>Clint Schwartz wrote, and John Beckett followed up on:
>
>>I need to be able to sort the SHOWJOB output to sort by job number.
>>I'm redirecting the output to a file and then using SORT to sort the
>>file with the job number as the key.
>[.....SNIP.....]
>
>Maybe HP would consider an enhancement here;  i.e:
>
>As the number of concurrent users on big 3000's gets
>larger and larger, it seems like being able to sort the
>SHOWJOB output by various parameters is a feature
>that most sites would use on a regular basis.  We have
>
>(snipped)
>
>So here is my off-the-top enhancement suggestion:
>Add three new options to the SHOWJOB command
>(default would of course be what we have now).  --->
>
>[;jobnum]   and   [;jin]   and   [;name]
>
>Result would be that if one of these options was
>included, then the showjob listing would be sorted
>by job number, job input logical device, or job name,
>respectively.  And then HP can handle left justify &
>etc. problems.............

And Steve Elmer gave a real good example on how to accomplish this as
a work around.  However, I think Ken has an excellent idea here, and that
the enhancement ought to get some serious thought.  This has been a
mentioned request by customers for years, although I'm not sure it has
ever been officially requested.

Steve, can you check if it's been requested?  If not, why not take the
information from Ken's post (and possibly a followup phone call) and get
it on the official list.  If it helps to have more than one customer to
request it, put my name on the list.

Anyone else want on the list?  Clint?  John?

Thanks,

Larry Boyd              [log in to unmask]