HP3000-L Archives

April 2023, Week 4

From:
Robert Liesenfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Liesenfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2023 17:46:55 -0700
I haven’t used it myself, but I have set up AppleTalk on SE-era Macs
before.  If I remember correctly, the SE lacks an expansion slot for
getting it on an Ethernet network.  A device exists called a
Localtalk-to-Ethernet bridge which is a Mac serial port on one side and
Ethernet on the other.  This translates the Localtalk AppleTalk packets to
EtherTalk packets, enabling Localtalk-only Macs to communicate with
Ethernet-connected AppleTalk servers.  The AsanteTalk is an example of such
a device, but there are several; they are getting more rare these days.

If you see references to MacIP, this is a software solution which can allow
TCP/IP packets to be sent and received via Localtalk, but I think it
requires having a Mac with Localtalk and Ethernet to be dedicated to this
purpose.  Essentially such a Mac becomes a network router and nothing more.

I have a 927LX with MPE/iX 6.0, a few vintage Macs (and an Apple IIgs,
which could do AppleTalk, amazingly), and an AsanteTalk bridge.  I should
give this a shot.  Would be pleasantly eclectic to use my 3000 as a file
server for my vintage Apple gear.  :-)

I don't have the API documentation but it would be interesting to see it if
anyone runs across it.

-Rob