HP3000-L Archives

February 2022, Week 4

From:
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2022 11:26:24 -0500

> Date:    Tue, 22 Feb 2022 00:47:47 -0500
> From:    Tracy Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Enabling MPE on an rp2430 for hobby use
>
> Anyone who had this ability already served their jail time.

I am sure that there are copies of SS_CONFIG out there somewhere.

It would be difficult to frame a substantive tort case against anyone who now
(mis)uses SS_CONFIG given that the effect it has, to modify an HP9000 into an
HP3000, has no commercial value.  HPQ no longer sells nor supports the HP3000
line.  Consequently they can suffer no financial loss from any reconfiguration
of an HP9000 into an HP3000.

If there is no loss then there is no tort.

I suppose the the DMCA could be waved around in a threatening manner in the
USA, but it would have absolutely no traction in the rest of the world.  Why
anyone would bother at this stage would be remarkable for its pointlessness.

   Unencrypted messages have no legal claim to privacy

James B. Byrne                mailto:[log in to unmask]
Canada  L8E 3C3