HP3000-L Archives

October 2021, Week 1

From:
Craig Lalley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Lalley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2021 14:34:33 +0000
"Turns out it that the memory test was *very* slow, and took over half an
hour! :)"
I remember a similar time booting a 967RX, we called HP support and got someone on the line as the memory test was finishing.   I am not sure then Fastboot was given as an option.

-Craig

    On Wednesday, October 6, 2021, 04:02:19 PM PDT, Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 Re:

> I also recall you can overfill beyond published the memory spec if

desired.  (Or was that the 9x7?)

IIRC, most PA-RISC systems could have more memory than initially documented
by HP.

For the 9x7, my notes say that HP originally said 768MB was the max for
them,
but Kelly (and others) could put in 1.5 GB.

There was some system...perhaps a 935? 932? ... that I drastically
overstuffed with
memory as a test.  I turned it on, and it looked like it hung.  Luckily, I
left it on and
went to lunch.  When I came back, it was up and running (with, IIRC,
something like 2 GB).
Turns out it that the memory test was *very* slow, and took over half an
hour! :)

Stan