HP3000-L Archives

March 2021, Week 4

From:
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2021 11:35:26 -0400
External Email

> A long, long time ago, I can still remember. . .

> . . . a PC based application that could parse spool files.  It could do
> searches and so forth as well, but the main thing it did that we needed
> was to simply display a spool file on a screen (80 and 132 column) as it
> would appear on a printed page.

What I recall was not an HP3000 specific product.  It basically took an LPD
spool file on a PC and formatted it graphically on a monitor as if it had been
printed on a line printer (complete with alternating green and whit bands if
memory serves).  So one could page forward and backward, scroll up and down,
and search for text strings.  We did not use many of its features but it could
do much more than display and search.

That is what I am looking for.  I can move the spool files to a WebDAV resource
that the users can retrieve from. But the files are not formatted as the users
expect, there being printer control characters present.  And the page breaks
are not recognized in the editors (notepad/write) that most are familiar with.

At need I can do this for myself for one or two spool file; but not for a
number of other users and a substantial number of daily and weekly reports.

   Unencrypted messages have no legal claim to privacy

James B. Byrne                mailto:[log in to unmask]
Canada  L8E 3C3

   Unencrypted messages have no legal claim to privacy

James B. Byrne                mailto:[log in to unmask]
Canada  L8E 3C3
This message is not from a UTC.EDU address. Caution should be used in clicking links and downloading attachments from unknown senders or unexpected email.

* To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html *