HP3000-L Archives

March 2021, Week 2

From:
Tracy Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2021 12:06:48 -0500
External Email
One of my DLTs on my garage machine (the empire game machine) started giving me write errors.  This was understandable given the age of the DLT and how long it had been in use.  So in my bag of spare parts I had another DLT still wrapped in mylar and I attempted tried to swap it out.

I DOWNed the device removed the old DLT and put in the new.

I pushed it in, did an UP on the LDEV and turned it on.

I got the never-ending blinking lights on the new DLT.

My guess from past experience the electronics were shot.  I figured the board on the old DLT was still good and I decided to swap parts.

I won't go into details about dismantling both puzzle boxes.  But after looking at the guts I decided to move the old board to the new mechanism (instead of the mechanism to the old board).

When done, I pushed in the reassembled DLT, did an UP on the LDEV and turned it on.

No perpetual blinking lights!

For the acid text I put in a tape.

I got an (unlabelled) mounted on LDEV!

Wohoo!

And I was able to a STORE and write a file!

Yay!

--

Tracy Johnson
BT

NNNN

This message is not from a UTC.EDU address. Caution should be used in clicking links and downloading attachments from unknown senders or unexpected email.