HP3000-L Archives

March 2021, Week 2

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2021 18:41:24 -0700
Mike asks:

>     Is there a way to get a listing of the subsystems on a SUBSYS tape?
>
>     How would you install individual subsystems? I've only ever installed
> an
> entire SUBSYS tape before.
>
>     Thanks. I'll be loading some software on a 3000 series 39 with a 7914,
> running MPE-V G.3P.00 (later to be upgraded to G.40.00 with patches).

A 3000/39?  wow!   In case you're probably not aware of cctalk, several
people on
that mailing list are interested in Classic HP3000s (Frank, Chuck, and
others).

You ask a good question.

I can't recall what's listed in HPSWINFO.PUB.SYS, nor if it's a file
tailored to each system.
There should/might be a file, PRODLIST.PUB.SYS, which should list purchased
products (e.g., COBOL).

I think that you have no choice but to install the SL.PUB.SYS that's on the
tape in its entirety
(i.e., I don't recall any mechanism to rebuild SL.PUB.SYS during an
install, other than copying
it entirely from the tape.)

If you want an absolute minimum installation, you could install but not
RESTORE the files ...
that gets you the files "listed" in the first section of the tape (the
files before the "STORE/RESTORE" section).

Stan