HP3000-L Archives

December 2020, Week 3

From:
Tracy Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 2020 13:43:03 -0500
I suggested rather than go through all that, do a REINSTALL from an
existing CLST, then he doesn't have to go through the FOS, SUBSYS and
PowerPatch steps.

Since he his downgrading hardware, then do an UPDATE CONFIG from a tape
of the machine as far as he got so he doesn't have to go through SYSGEN
again.

On 12/16/20 1:26 PM, Simpkins, Terry wrote:
> External Email
> I’m doing a ‘fresh install’ on my 918, and it seems my FOS tape has ‘gone bad’.
> The symptoms are this:
>
>    *   Loaded FOS tape for AUTOINST job
>    *   Restore gets through 653 files restored and 689 files failed due to a read error on the tape
>    *   Tape drive says ‘I need to be cleaned’
>    *   Clean the drive and try again, same result with the same number of files restored/failed
>    *   Clean another drive on the system and try again using it instead of the original drive
>    *   Same result on second tape drive
>
> That’s seems like a pretty clear indicator the tape is the culprit.
> The restore uses an indirect file (IFHPIBFS.PUB.SYS) and that file exists on our production machine.
>
> So, in the hopes that there is nothing ‘magic’ about the FOS tape, I created a STORE tape using IFHPIBFS and used it on the 918 in place of the “FOS” tape.  I noticed the STORE only found and stored 1125 files, instead of the 1342 files listed in IFHPIBFS.
> But the FOS restore completed happily and proceeded to ask for the SUBSYS tape.  We’ll see what happens next.
>
> [http://www.te.com/content/dam/te-com/images/corporate/marketing/global/brand-resources/2018_telogo.gif]<http://www.te.com/>
> Terry W. Simpkins
> Sr Manager Business Systems
> TE Sensors
>
> TEL +1 757 766 4278   MOBILE +1 757 532 5685  EMAIL [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
> [http://www.te.com/content/dam/te-com/images/corporate/marketing/global/brand-resources/2018-Facebook-Icon.gif]<https://www.facebook.com/teconnectivity>   [http://www.te.com/content/dam/te-com/images/corporate/marketing/global/brand-resources/2018-Twitter-Icon.gif] <https://twitter.com/teconnectivity>    [http://www.te.com/content/dam/te-com/images/corporate/marketing/global/brand-resources/2018-Instagram-Icon.gif] <http://instagram.com/teconnectivity>    [http://www.te.com/content/dam/te-com/images/corporate/marketing/global/brand-resources/2018-LinkedIn-Icon.gif] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/te-connectivity>    [http://www.te.com/content/dam/te-com/images/corporate/marketing/global/brand-resources/2018-YouTube-Icon.gif] <https://www.youtube.com/teconnectivity>
> te.com<http://www.te.com/>
>
> Click to read<http://www.te.com/global-en/private/te-email-confidentiality-statement.html> email confidentiality disclaimer.
>
> This message is not from a UTC.EDU address. Caution should be used in clicking links and downloading attachments from unknown senders or unexpected email.

Tracy Johnson
BT

NNNN