TNPR2 Archives

April 2018

TNPR2@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Margaret Prim <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tennessee Presenters, Board & Agents
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2018 01:37:18 +0000
I will be there!
Thanks Bob-
Margaret

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 12, 2018, at 4:50 PM, Robert Boyer <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

HI folks,

Hope all is well. I’m officially working from home now, so the cell number is my only contact number for 12-18 months even though hopefully they will keep my office number. Who knows. They don’t.  :-)  I will still have the UTC email address as well as this one.

Anyway, I want to get Monday, May 21 on your calendars - that’s our annual all-members meeting date and we’re again being graciously hosted by OZ Arts in Nashville! Hoping for great weather, a great turnout, and good conversation with our guest John Ellis, recently retired ED of the Diana Wortham Theatre in Asheville, NC. John is graciously offering his services in retirement to his fellow presenters and we’ve asked him to come lead a discussion on non-profit boards, board members’ responsibilities, and leadership transitions. He’ll be bringing his experience as a founding board member of NCPC with him and will be able to speak to us on a wide range of issues we need to begin thinking about.

After what happened to me in October, the board has been discussing these issues and decided that we really needed to spend our professional development efforts this summer on the topic of readying ourselves for any sudden forced changes in leadership. As I joked with the TAC’s grants panel yesterday, we plan on Bob retiring from this position but we need to be prepared in case something worse ever happens to Bob. With that in mind, we think it good to get everyone involved with us to gather ‘round and find out what it might look like to really become more of an activist board and one that could, in an emergency, run the organization seamlessly until such a time as a new Executive Director could be named. We also realize that we’re not big enough that some of us can dodge board leadership. At some point, each of us is going to need to step into a board position.

Now my surgeon assures me that I’m in great shape and I have no worries. And I’m sticking with that story. But our thinking is we’re better safe than sorry. And, frankly, my battles with the UTC administration these past four years have left me pretty damn tired, on top of the effects of the anesthesia last fall. So while I’m not planning on going anywhere any time soon, some new ideas and new energy will help me help us move this organization forward.

We need all of our members here - presenters and as many agents and artists as possible. This is one of our main networking events. So bring yo-self, yo ideas, yo appetites, and yo knack for good conversation and let’s join with John and have an engaging discussion that can help us move forward into the next ten years. And while we’re at it, we’ll be electing a new slate of officers and board members, we’ll look over this year’s budget, next year’s budget, and also importantly, finish our planning for ArtsConversation 18 in Manchester, TN in October. After that, we’ll of course, engage in our time honored tradition of shootin’ the bull over lunch.

in preparation for that, brother Ron Jewell has reminded me that I’m derelict in sending out an updated membership roster, so I’m attaching a copy for you to use if you need to go rogue and do something off-list.

Post up if you already know you’ll be attending. So far, I have Lauren S, John Ellis, and myself. This won’t be the only reminder, but let’s get this ball rolling. Remember - there’s no cost for this meeting.

Look forward to seeing you in a  month!

Bob

Robert Boyer
Executive Director