HP3000-L Archives

November 2017, Week 3

From:
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2017 10:07:22 -0500
We replaced LDEV 3 on our HP3000/918LX which had indeed failed.  This
device was the only member in our backup volume set.  Now I have to
add the new drive to that volume set.  And, given the lack of
familiarity that I have with this procedure, although I must say I
have had a great deal more in the past year than in two decades
previous, I would like some guidance.

This is the current situation:

:DSTAT ALL
 LDEV-TYPE            STATUS    VOLUME           VOLUME SET - GEN
 ----------           -------   ----------------------------------
    1-ST318417N       MASTER    MEMBER1
MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET-0
    2-ST318417N       MASTER    MIDATA00         HAL_DATA-0
    3-ST318417N       UNKNOWN

This is the situation at which I wish to arrive:

Ldev   Type        Index  Volume Set Name                   Volume Name

  1    Master        1    MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET           MEMBER1
  2    Master        1    HAL_DATA                          MIDATA00
  3    Master        1    HAL_BKUP                          MEMBER1

My notes tell me that what I should do is this:

: VOLUTIL
volutil: NEWSET SNAME=HAL_BKUP MASTER=MEMBER1 LDEV=3 PERM=100 TRANS=100

BUT, before I do anything I am asking for verification that I have not
missed any necessary steps and confirmation that nothing else is
required;  Other than restoring the files on HAL_BKUP from our most
recent full backup.

James B. Byrne                mailto:[log in to unmask]
Canada  L8E 3C3