HP3000-L Archives

September 2017, Week 4

From:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2017 23:46:53 -0500
Hello everyone,

I'm having a weird problem and I hope someone on the "L" can help!
I've installed DLT drives in the past, knowing the FW SCSI hardware path
+ the switch setting on the DLT tells me exactly what the DLT path is
going to be. However I still run ode mapper when installing any hardware
just to make sure, and I'm sure the DTL has shown up in mapper in the
past, right?

But not today – Is the DLT7000 supposed to be displayed in mapper? It's
been a few years since I've install one.

The SYSGEN configuration is:

PATH:  10/4/12      ID:  A2372-60003-FWSCSI

PATH:  10/4/12.1    ID:  PSEUDO

PATH:  10/4/12.1.0                         LDEV:   11
ID:    DLT7000                               TYPE: TAPE
PMGR:  SCSI_TAPE2_DM                   PMGRPRI:    10
LMGR:  LOGICAL_DEVICE_MANAGER          MAXIOS:     0

The FW SCSI card does show up in mapper at 10/4/12.
The DLT is plugged into a dedicated FW SCSI card, all by itself.
It is powered on, SCSI cable checked double-checked, and terminated.
IT DOES NOT SHOW IN MAPPER.

When I boot this config I get a LILO Error -11 subsys #150. on  LDEV 11.
If I unplug the DLT I do not get a LILO Error at boot time.

However, later after OS start I/O config I always get
"LDEV 11 is configured but not available."

I've tried three different DLT7000 drives,
two different FW SCSI cards,
two different SCSI cables and
two different terminators....

NOTE: This is a 929 K-Class box, the standard core I/O has a FW SCSI on
it, but it's path is shared with the internal disc's.
I had initially plugged the DLT into the core I/O, which has worked in
the past, but not this time, and I think plugging the DLT into a shared
FW SCSI is not supported anyway.

This machine also has a FW SCSI going to a 12H Disc Array.
So I added another FW SCSI exclusively for the DLT7000.

WHAT else could it be, I've tried everything.

So I'm thinking maybe there is a limitation with the 929, or maybe there
a jumper on system board or something I'm missing, Any Idea Anyone?

--
Any help, any hints or clues will be much appreciated!

--
Michael Anderson
832-515-3868