HP3000-L Archives

September 2017, Week 3

From:
"Johnson, Tracy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johnson, Tracy
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2017 14:34:53 +0000
Someone reminded me the topic was DBGENALT and Jumbos.   In any case I was remember a funny gotcha on Jumbos.  (Nothing to do with DGGENALT however.)

If you insert a new Automatic Master and the Jumbo moves down a notch.  Say from XXX11 to XXX12.  All the Associated numbered files will move down with it.

e.g. WAS       NOW
XXX11.001      XXX12.001
XXX11.002      XXX12.002
XXX11.003      XXX12.003
Etc.

Well and good.

But if you RESTORE it to some other machine that had a prior copy, don't forget to purge the former database first.  Otherwise you'll have orphan Jumbos.

One's natural inclination is to think a RESTORE will overwrite it all.  (Duh), but one doesn't always think of these things when you do them.

Tracy Johnson
+00 1 757 766-4318 tel
+00 1 757 755-6470 mobile
Hampton, Virginia, U.S.