HP3000-L Archives

December 2016, Week 3

From:
John MacLerran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John MacLerran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2016 18:15:11 -0500
Another two, actually.

At the end of October 2016, Idaho State University turned off their 2 HP3000s.

The HP3000 architecture had been in use at ISU since the early 1980s, running everything from Procurement and Payroll to Student Registration and Grading. When I started work at ISU as a programmer in 1984, we had 2 Series 68s (later upgraded to Series 70s).  Over the years, we upgraded as budget allowed. We installed the current boxes in Summer 2001. Our production box was an N4000 4-way 440 mHZ box and our development box was an A400 110 mHZ box.  In 2004, I think, we added a VA7100 array to our N4000 box, and it was this configuration that we turned off in October.

We went live with Banner, an ERP for universities, in 2009, but some applications on the HP3000s hung on much longer because there was no suitable replacement in the ERP system.

Consequently, we have the two above boxes, plus one other A-400, for sale or for parts, if there is interest.

Since we are a State of Idaho agency, there is a somewhat convoluted process for us to sell the boxes, but if there is any interest, you can contact our Customer Services manager Tony Lovgren at [log in to unmask] for more information.

A more complete spec listing follows:
N4000 - 4-way 440mHZ with 16 GB RAM, 3SCSI ports, PCI Fibre-Channel interface card.
A400 - 110mHZ  -- Cannot remember much RAM (512MB?)
A400 - 400mHZ  -- not sure how much RAM (we got this from another state agency but never turned it on)

Due to State of Idaho regulations, we cannot include disk drives -- by law we must wipe then shred them.

I have learned a lot from this list over the years and I miss working on MPE -- there's really nothing else quite like it.

With fond memories --
John MacLerran