HP3000-L Archives

July 2015, Week 1

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 2015 12:49:30 +0200
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Tom
Lang <[log in to unmask]> writing at 17:03:40
in his/her local time opines:-
>It is very interesting that you have taken up this task.
>
>I read your article and have a gripe, in-as-much-as you use the term
>"Fourth Generation Language".
>(e.g. "Several Fourth Generation Language products (Powerhouse,
>Transact, Speedware, Protos) became available from third party
>vendors".)

Transact, of course, though third party written, was taken on by HP as
part of the Rapid suite.

As it is resolutely procedural, in large part, but deals with
'molecules' where 3GLs like COBOL deal with 'atoms', assemblers with
'protons, neutrons and electrons' and machine code with 'quarks', we
have always called it a 3-and-a-half GL.

I guess on this basis, 4GLs deal with 'compounds', and SPL is a
2-and-a-half GL dealing with 'ions' :-)

HP did have a 4GL called Allbase 4GL; at one HP Conference, they called
it 'strategic', and at the next one, a year later, it was dead, and
there was some new thing they were calling 'strategic'.

When I asked them how long this new 'strategic' product was going to be
around, given what had happened to last year's 'strategic' one, the
question was not well received :-)

Transact, of course, lives on to this day, largely in the form of
ScreenJet's Transaction which with their EZV VPlus replacement, Michael
Marxmeier's Eloquence, and a choice of MPE-alikes, allows a
lift-and-shift of this surprisingly compact, and therefore surprisingly
hard to replace, code to more modern (or at least more modish)
platforms.

Roy
--
Roy Brown        'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
Kelmscott Ltd     useful, or believe to be beautiful'  William Morris