HP3000-L Archives

May 2015, Week 1

From:
Connie Sellitto <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sellitto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 2015 10:28:45 -0400
Hello List,
I recall seeing a thread several years ago, regarding the use of bar codes on networked laser printers (Dave Vogt/Michael Anderson?)
I have a situation in which spoolfiles are printing to a band printer, and some of the text creates barcodes that are scannable on an Intermec 9560 scanner.
The spoolfiles are being created with codes that appear to invoke an environment file, and contain text like this for value '100':
+*z0v .3r .1s .3t .3U*z0H*z0Q*z<100   >Z

Question - now going to a process in which the spoolfile is picked up using Hillary Software's byREQUEST, which will create a Word document, then print to a Laser printer. MS Word has several bar code fonts, including CODE 39 and CODE 128. What characters should precede the value to be bar-coded within the incoming file, so that the Word font will produce the proper scannable value?

If I create a simple Word document with the value '100', and select the font as one of the barcode fonts, I get an image that may or may not result in the correct scan.
I know some fonts (CODE 39) require an asterisk delimiter - any help appreciated.

Best regards,
Connie Sellitto