HP3000-L Archives

February 2015, Week 4

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2015 17:12:57 +0100
In message
<[log in to unmask]>, Craig
Lalley <[log in to unmask]> writing at
21:34:43 in his/her local time opines:-
>you need to wait for the tape to be online.
>DEVCTRL.MPEXL.TELESUP 7;load=online
>is not going to happen right away.
>Do  PAUSE 60
>Should be enough.
>-Craig

Not knowing of the handy utilities Ernie quotes (and we haven't even got
a UTIL.SYS with a copy of what may or may not be a program by the same
name in our BRADMARK account) I solved this issue by brute force a while
back  for our SLT backups so they acted like Orbit Backup+ ones and
could have an autoreply.

The job you want to reply to streams our AUTOREPJ job, which sits and
issues a RECALL every little while until it finds a pending request from
the job that streamed it (and no other job) which it replies 'Y' to.

It then idles until its parent job terminates, but ready to make another
REPLY if so requested, and then terminates itself (as it does if this
happens with no request ever having been forthcoming in the first
place).

So it will handle one job on several tape drives, or several copies can
handle multiple jobs on multiple tape drives without ever interfering
with one another, or needing to know in advance which tape drive is to
be used for what.

It's pretty straight CI, though there is one mpex command in there - to
detect when the parent jobstream has gone - that I'm sure could be done
in the CI if anyone wanted it pure CI.

I can post it if anyone is interested, or for Ernie if Craig's fix
doesn't work for any reason...

--
Roy Brown        'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
Kelmscott Ltd     useful, or believe to be beautiful'  William Morris