HP3000-L Archives

December 2014, Week 2

From:
"Robert W.Mills" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert W.Mills
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2014 00:46:56 +0000
Hi donna,

If you used them in the past then I would say that you are still qualified to have a valid opinion.

I admit that I do have a hidden agenda but the main reason does not involve porting.

For many years I have used macros to make my life easier. When I left the e3000, back in 2008, and did some work on other platforms I found I missed them. I'm now in semi-retirement and have been using the free version of MF COBOL (a couple of years) and GnuCOBOL (this last year) to write software for friends, family and my own use.

A couple of times since 2008 I had thought of writing by own macro preprocessor to emulate the one on the e3000. A few months ago I decided to do it and release it as open source under the GNU GPL. The development of preprocessor, using GnuCOBOL, is now completed and in final Beta Testing and I'm writing the manual. Was hoping that I could some additional reasons, from others, as to why you would use macros instead of the copy...replacing and replace statements.

As a port of GnuCOBOL is a available on several platforms, and my preprocessor is written in GnuCOBOL, I see no problem in taking my macros with me nearly every wherever I go. If I end up doing work on a platform that does not support a feature that it is using it shouldn't be to difficult to develop a work-a-round.

So, how about at comment?

Regards,
Robert W.Mills