HP3000-L Archives

June 2014, Week 3

From:
Mark Ranft <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Ranft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2014 14:29:34 -0500
We always found that DLT 8000 tapes worked well in parallel.  When the backup got so big that it wouldn't fit on two DLT 8000 tapes, we split the backup putting the databases on two tapes in parallel and everything else on a third tape.  Keep in mind, we didn't have a backup strategy.  We had a recovery strategy and backups were a part of that.  We found, for us, organizing backups in this manner allowed us to speed recovery, which was far more important than anything else.

You can achieve good times doing Store-to-Disk backups.  But then what?  Do you backup the STD to tape and send it offsite?  FTP is somewhere?  The recovery times on getting this back are too slow.

I would be happy to discuss your recovery strategy, high availability and any other HP3000 system administration questions.  You can look up my website for my phone number.

Mark Ranft
Pro 3K