HP3000-L Archives

May 2014, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2014 21:00:36 -0400
On 5/22/2014 8:38 PM, Walter J. Murray wrote:
> We hard a card reader on our Series II.  That picker had a rubberized
> surface, didn't it?  The cards we used were source documents, part of a
> multipart set with two or three pieces of paper and two cards.  There
> was always residue on the cards from the carbon paper, and it built up
> on the picker, which we had to clean frequently.  It also built up on
> the rubber rollers of the IBM sorter, but that's a story for another
> time.

The HP card reader (at least the one we had originally) you loaded cards
on the right into a diagonally slanted tray, pushed the start button,
and it had some sort of combination air driven / pick roller thing that
swiped the card through the reader into the output stacker on the left.
It was pretty darn quick about it too... not up to par with an IBM, but
not slouchy at all.  And it fit easily on a tabletop, while the IBM
version was the size of a chest freezer.

> I am thinking HP also sold a reader-punch for the 3000.  Made by
> Decision Data, I think.  Looked to be a modified keypunch machine.
> Maybe someone can verify that.

I don't recall a punch, but then we were never in the market.

Jeff