HP3000-L Archives

January 2014, Week 1

From:
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James B. Byrne
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 2014 11:17:27 -0500
Before putting anything of value onto a public cloud based system, or expose
it to the Internet in a secure (i.e. encrypted) fashion, I strongly recommend
that you take the time to view several of the presentations given at the 30th
conference of the Chaos Computer Club held in hamburg, DE this past weekend
(2013-Dec-28/30).  See http://media.ccc.de/browse/congress/2013/.

As a result of several revelations made at this conference I now have a few
weeks of work ahead of me to revamp our entire Public Key Infrastructure.  I
am not happy about this, not the least because I believed (naively) that I had
taken steps to avoid this very problem.  But what can one do when a major
company apparently seems to have been bribed by the U.S. Government to set
defaults on their PKI certificates and end-user certificate applications, for
which they charge their own clients a great deal let us recall, so that said
pki certificates are easily cracked?

James B. Byrne                mailto:[log in to unmask]
Canada  L8E 3C3