HP3000-L Archives

September 2013, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Sep 2013 19:11:06 -0400
On 9/18/2013 7:15 PM, Greg Terterian wrote:
> I just got HP E3000 A500 to replace my Series 969, however, I am looking at the back and all I see is a 9 pin cable for a monitor (so I guess I can connect my old terminal 700/92 to it), however, where do I plug the keyboard?  I cant see any connections for the keyboard...
>
> Any help or diagram/specs will be appreciated.

You should have a serial console connector, I assume is the 9-pin one.
That goes to a 700/92 or serial port on a PC with HP terminal emulator,
it will have to be an HP-compatible terminal or emulator.  The keyboard
of course plugs into the terminal, not into the A500.

As Stan alluded to in a later response, there is also a "network" jack
on the back for the GSP (General Service Processor [sp?]) for your
A500.  Once you get a proper terminal connected to the console port, you
can then get to the GSP via a control-B escape sequence.  From the GSP,
you can then configure the GSP LAN port with an IP address, gateway, etc
so that you can subsequently telnet to the GSP.  Be sure you have
appropriate network access protection in place before opening this up to
the world at large :)

Once the GSP port is configured, you can telnet to the GSP, and "grab"
the console.  You will take control over the serially-connected console
and have full access as if you were on the serial console.

I can get you some cut-and-pastes of some of the configuration dialogue
if it would help, but I would have to pay a visit to the datacenter to
validate exactly how these ports are marked and where they are located.
I'm afraid you're asking about one of those "set-it-and-forget-it" items
on a 3000 that you typically only visit once in your career (or at least
just once per host) and I've slept a few times since I configured ours
:)  I do still have a live one in our data center, as well as a live
N4000 should that be a requirement as well (similar configuration of
GSP), so I can get you some live data, just not "right now" :)

Once setup, you simply telnet in similar to this...

> Service Processor login: manager-a500
> Service Processor password:
>
>                   Hewlett-Packard Guardian Service Processor
>     (c) Copyright Hewlett-Packard Company 1999-2002.  All Rights Reserved.
>                           System Name: mirror3k
>
> [Read only - use ^Ecf for console write access.]

At this point, they mean hit "control-E" followed by "cf" before you
actually gain control (it's a confusing prompt :) ).  Of course you have
to configure the service processor "user" and credentials, plus the IP
configuration, ahead of time from your physical console terminal.

Jeff