HP3000-L Archives

August 2013, Week 2

From:
Cornelia Sellitto <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cornelia Sellitto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2013 07:11:10 -0400
HP Listers -
So good to read a tribute to one of the most stable, versatile machines
I've ever worked on - and still do, to a small degree.
My former employer (CFA) is in the final stages of migration off of the
HP3000 to a Windows-based 'solution'. I understand the announced Go-live
date to be October 31st, at which time the association president says he
will personally "Shoot Bertha", as he sarcastically calls the 3000.  Ah yes
- she will be missed.
Best to all - thanks for all the contributions to the systems and this List
over the years.
Connie

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 6:34 AM, Johnson, Ted <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Great article, a much nicer sendoff than our last HP received.
>

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > Just wrote this up for our campus newsletter.  What a ride!
> >
> > Jeff
> >
> > > A looooong time ago, an eternity in the fast-paced evolution of
> > > computers in the information age, UTC acquired their first
> > > Hewlett-Packard 3000 minicomputer with the intention of doing "online
> > > registration" of classes and processing of student grades.  The
> > > current system at the time involved an IBM mainframe, punched cards,
> > > and long lines at Mac Gym for class registration.  The first online
> > > registration was in the Spring of 1977 and it was carried off without
> > > a hitch.  The business affairs of the university -- from registration,
> > > grades, financial aid, housing, parking, accounts receivable, "RAP
> > > sheets" (Report of Academic Progress), and transcripts -- were carried
> > > out by various models, upgrades, and replacements of the original
> > > HP3000 until it began to approach retirement by adoption of Banner in
> > > 2007.  Over the summer, the last remaining functions of the 3000 have
> > > been replaced by newer hardware/software, and the system is due to be
> > > shutdown later this year.  No one could have predicted a computer
> > > system to have played such a prominent role for thirty six years.  How
> > > old is your "obsolete" phone?  :)
> >
> > * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, *
> > * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html *
> >

> --
> *Ted Johnson, PHR*
> Wake Forest University