HP3000-L Archives

April 2013, Week 4

From:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2013 10:08:56 -0500
Apple is just regurgitating what others have also said in the past.
People just make this stuff up as they go. Basically, a “DISK” refers to
magnetic storage of data, and “DISC” refers to optical storage of data,
and “DISC” also refers to magnetic and optical data storage on a HP3000,
even TAPE has a DISC format, like file code 2501. Maybe there was some
British influence within the original design of the HP3000.

Here is a snippet from yahoo answers:
The divergence in spelling is due in part to the way in which the words
originated. Disk came into the English language in the mid-17th century,
and was modelled on words such as whisk; disc arose some time later, and
was based on the original Latin root discus. In the 19th century, disc
became the conventional spelling for audio recordings made on a flat
plate, such as the gramophone record; this usage gave rise to the modern
term disc jockey. Early BBC technicians differentiated between disks
(in-house transcription records) and discs (the colloquial term for
commercial gramophone records, or what the BBC dubbed CGRs).
By the 20th century, the c-spelling was more popular in British English,
while the k-spelling was preferred in American English. In the 1940s,
when the American company IBM pioneered the first hard disk storage
devices, the k-spelling was used. In 1979 the European company Philips,
along with Sony, developed the compact disc medium; here, the c-spelling
was chosen, possibly because of the predominating British spelling, or
because the compact disc was seen as a successor to the analogue disc
record.
Whatever their heritage, in computer jargon today it is common for the
k-spelling to refer mainly to magnetic storage devices, while the
c-spelling is customary for optical media such as the compact disc and
similar technologies. Even in the computing field, however, the terms
are used inconsistently; software documentation often uses the
k-spelling exclusively.

--
Mike.