HP3000-L Archives

December 2012, Week 2

From:
Ron Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2012 13:58:23 -0600
Hello Friends,

We've reported a couple of data points on the emulator; well three actually, including one from the field. Beta testers Alan Yeo and Gavin Scott put the freeware version through its paces in November.

Alan:

<http://3000newswire.blogs.com/3000_newswire/2012/11/running-the-freeware-emulator-just-ducky.html>

Gavin:

<http://3000newswire.blogs.com/3000_newswire/2012/12/freeware-emulator-rates-cool-in-early-test.html>

An IT manager in Australia has installed it to replace a 3000 and drive a customized in-house app suite, in production.

<http://3000newswire.blogs.com/3000_newswire/2012/12/first-production-emulator-wins-its-respect.html>

I keep getting promised by Paul Taffel at Stromasys that the freeware edition will be out any day now in full public release. It's a 2-user license and has been reported faster than a 918 by a factor of up to 4, if you have a 8GB RAM i7 core Linux system for hosting. (I believe that's because PA-RISC was hemmed in by the HP 3000 hardware implementation of the 918+MPE/iX. Just my guess, but that hobbling of the HP hardware is pretty much on the record.)

Stay tuned to the Newswire blog for freeware release details.

Ron Seybold
Editor, 3000 Newswire - 512.331.0075

<http://3000newswire.com/blog>

Twitter @3000newswire | Skype ronseybold