HP3000-L Archives

November 2012, Week 2

From:
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James B. Byrne
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2012 07:59:15 -0500
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Thu, 8 Nov 2012 17:00:46 -0500
> From:    Jose Gala <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: OpenSource NS/VT 7000/92 Emulator
>
> Tracy,
> Thank you
> It is a way that I can generate a VM over Windows 7 and on that
> environment to load a Linux and then the emulator?
> Jose

Take a look at VirtualBox at http://www.virtualbox.org/.  However, I
would recommend against this approach for anything other than a
one-off proof-of-concept use.  MS-Windows OS of the non-server variety
are not noted either for their reliability or suitability for hosting
vm instances.

For different reasons, providing secure connections to the HP3000 over
public networks, we use freevt3k.  We placed a small multi-homed Linux
box in front of our 3000 and connected the HP directly to one i/f via
a cross-over cable and the LAN to the other i/f. The concept being
that users would connect first to the Linux box via ssh and thence to
the HP3000 from the Linux shell.  Since traffic on the direct link is
not sniffable unless one has already penetrated the Linux box this is
about as secure as we can make the HP3000 and still access it via the
Internet.

We then built freevt3k on the Linux box and provided ssh access to it
for our users.  Users login to the Linux box from a PuTTY session
running on their Windows workstations and then from the Linux box they
run a small script named hp3000 that connects them via freevt3k to the
HP3000.  This could be automated so that login to the Linux box
automatically runs the hp3000 script but I did not bother to provide
that nicety.

If the above is physically possible then this might be a better
approach that hosting a vm directly on the Windows machine.

The alternative is just spend a few bucks, save a ton of time, and get
Minisoft92.  Believe me, if you have never set up a vm host before you
are not going to have a happy time doing this just to run a free
terminal emulator, particularly given that you are then going to need
set up a development environment on the vm just to build freevt3k.

I would not count on any of the available binaries to still run on the
latest versions of any operating system.  In fact, given my
experience, I can just about guarantee that they will not.

One last point, freevt3k does not support block mode. If you have any
programs that require this, NMMGR comes to mind, then freevt3k is not
a solution.

James B. Byrne                mailto:[log in to unmask]
Canada  L8E 3C3