HP3000-L Archives

September 2012, Week 1

From:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2012 14:56:42 -0500
I'd have to say, get rid of the Windows Problem entirely! I don't see
any reason to continue with Windows.
There are so many distributions of GUN+Linux, there is bound to be one
for your specific needs.
For full featured servers I recommend ClearOS (RedHat with a better
distribution Model).
For general Desktop/Laptop I still recommend Ubuntu.
To fix the problem you have today: (Research hardware Drivers (Wireless,
Video, and Printers)).

 1. Download http://www.ubuntu.com/download
 2. Burn to DVD
 3. Get/install a new disc-drive
 4. Install Ubuntu
 5. Hookup the old drive via USB, and you're done!

All your MSoffice docs will be accessible from the old drive, using
Libre Office or OpenOffice.

Free software does not necessarily mean no cost, it means Freedom!
Freedom from malicious software, you have the source code.
Freedom to choose.
Freedom to copy/share.
Freedom to change, and make it your own.
Freedom to learn by studying the source code.

Microsoft offers none of these freedoms, on the contrary they offer
custom fit digital handcuffs.

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-roadmap/index.html
http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/windowstolinux.shtml
http://www.ghacks.net/2009/10/13/five-ways-to-ease-migration-from-windows-to-linux/
http://www.linux.com/learn/new-user-guides/328340-windows-to-linux-migration-guide

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9033804/Moving_from_Windows_to_Linux_Here_s_how_to_take_the_good_stuff_with_you

The only problems I've experienced while migrating from Windows to
GNU+Linux are always located between the keyboard and the chair.

--
Mike.