HP3000-L Archives

July 2012, Week 3

From:
Mark Ranft <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Ranft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2012 17:42:03 -0500
What I believe you are looking at here is not directory fragmentation (which can happen) but rather normal disk fragmentation.

Your files, ARCHIVE for instance have too many (234) extents.  But is 234 extents too many?  Maybe or maybe not.  WE have had files with thousands of extents.  That is when it may require action.

From what I see, you may or may not have a problem.  A few hundred extents are not a big deal.  But when you have to access the data often and performance is a consideration it is better to not have them fragmented across many extents.

The files in CCC are most likely for SpoolMate.  But other files on your system may be more important to performance.

I am curious about what you mean by qlength delay.  Are you seeing high disk queuing in GLANCE or SOS (MetaView)?

Since you have MPEX, I wonder what the output from the following command would look like:

   LISTF @[log in to unmask]@(ACCDATE>TODAY-2 and NUMEXTENTS > 1000) ,2

If 1000 shows no files, try 500.

Mark Ranft
Pro 3K