HP3000-L Archives

June 2012, Week 3

From:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2012 17:09:44 -0500
I like Donna's plan; This is a strategy that will also help whenever you
want similar functionality on a NON-MPE platform. Also, althought COBOL
is very able, an external script might be a better tool. You don't
always need a hammer ;-)

This is hypothetical, trying to make a point.  From your MPE CI prompt,
type "HELP FINFO", you should be able to set some variables (SETVAR
FILEA "XXX"), and using finfo add some more variables. Then from COBOL
using HPCIGETVAR, string together a BUILD command (with a bigger LIMIT
maybe), and call "HPCICOMMAND". You could string the build command from
a command, into a sigle var, then COBOL only needs to HPCIGETVAR once.
You can also write a script to do everything you want, and call
HPCICOMMAND to run the script, pass it parms.... Its pretty cool, and it
makes your COBOL application more portable. (Same program, different
script).

For example: On MPE I once wrote (using COBOL) a small utility to CALL
DBINFO, extract ALL the meta-data from any IMAGE database, and then
create, and write to the NEW KSAM COPYLIB, ending up with all the COBOL
copylib modules needed for all datasets for any database, including call
statements and working storage. My point is that I used CI scripting to
create and write to the copylib. I actually used ECHO to write the
copylib ksam file from a CI script. Now, seeing how I work more on HPUX
& Linux, Using OpenCOBOL and Eloquence I should be able to compile this
same program on Linux with minimal modifications, only changing the
external script.

I use this method to access SQL databases, and much more, using
OpenCOBOL & Tcl/Tk. This way I can run the same program, same script
almost anywhere, no matter, Windows, Mac, or Unix.

--
Mike.