HP3000-L Archives

March 2012, Week 2

From:
Mark Ranft <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Ranft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2012 06:58:44 -0600
First, are your clock set correctly?   There are hardware and software clocks and time zones to set.

Run showclks.pubxl.telesup to check them.  (My times are Central Standard.)

***                                                       ***
***   Greenwich Mean Time : FRI, MAR  9, 2012, 12:41 PM   ***
***   GMT/MPE offset      : -6:00:00                      ***
***   MPE System Time     : FRI, MAR  9, 2012,  6:41 AM   ***
***                                                       ***

               **** C Library Information ****

      Current value of Time Zone(TZ) variable : CST6CDT
      CTIME function return :  Fri Mar  9 06:41:56 2012

If these are all correct, then all you should have to do is schedule one of the following jobs.   I will let you figure out which one you run in Spring verses Fall.  Note the setclock does NOT specify the time only the changing time zone.

!JOB SPRINGUP,MANAGER.SYS;HIPRI;OUTCLASS=,1
!setvar hpautocont true
!SHOWCLOCK
!SETCLOCK TIMEZONE = W5:00
!SHOWCLOCK
!EOJ

:print fallback.job
!JOB FALLBACK,MANAGER.SYS;HIPRI;OUTCLASS=,1
!setvar hpautocont true
!SHOWCLOCK
!SETCLOCK TIMEZONE = W6:00
!SHOWCLOCK
!EOJ

IMPORTANT NOTE:  These jobs are for the Central Time Zone.  Your time zone may not match mine.
Also NOTE:  The time in the Fall will gradually adjust over a period of the hour between 2:00am and well 2:00am that occurs an hour later as you set the clock BACK.

Finally for experts...  If international time conversion is important to you, there are two additional things to do.

1) Set a system-wide UDC to set the TZ variable.  (And perhaps account UDCs if accounts are for different locations)

:showvar tz
TZ = CST6CDT

2) There is also a tztab.lib.sys that needs to be updated when countries change when or if they do DST.

:l tztab.lib.sys
ACCOUNT=  SYS         GROUP=  LIB

FILENAME  CODE  ------------LOGICAL RECORD-----------  ----SPACE----
                  SIZE  TYP        EOF      LIMIT R/B  SECTORS #X MX

TZTAB            1276B  VA         681        681   1       96  1  8

:print tztab.lib
# @(#) HP C/iX Library A.75.03  2008-02-26

# Mitteleuropaeische Zeit, Mitteleuropaeische Sommerzeit
MEZ-1MESZ
0 3 25-31 3  1983-2038 0   MESZ-2
0 2 24-30 9  1983-1995 0   MEZ-1
0 2 25-31 10 1996-2038 0   MEZ-1

# Middle European Time, Middle European Time Daylight Savings Time
<< snipped >>

This is all you should ever need to know about MPE systems and time setting.  Let me know if I missed or messed up anything.

Mark Ranft
(612) 804-2774