HP3000-L Archives

October 2011, Week 1

From:
Ken HP300L <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken HP300L <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2011 21:04:56 +0100
Looks like the old issue with ftp where port 21 is open but port 20 is
blocked perchance by a firewall?

Initial conversation uses port 21 but when it tries to push the data it
opens a second connection using port 20.

Ken Vickers

On 03/10/2011 20:15, Alan Yeo wrote:
> In message <[log in to unmask]>,
> "Newton, Ernie" <[log in to unmask]> writes
>> Greetings,
>>
>> First, let me state that I am ftp-challenged.
>>
>> I am trying to ftp a file from our HP3000 to a remote server, inside a
>> batch job, and am getting a connection error...
>>
>> Password:
>> 230 Logged on
>> Remote system type is UNIX
>> ftp> prompt
>> Interactive mode off.  (FTPINFO 42)
>> ftp> binary
>> 200 Type set to I
>> ftp> put TESTFILE
>> 200 Port command successful
>> 150 Opening data channel for file transfer.
>> 425 Can't open data connection.
>> Data Transfer Request Failed.  (FTPERR 13)
>> ftp> quit
>> 221 Goodbye
>>
>> Is this error because of something on the HP3000, or the remote server?
>>
>> I do a LISTF and the file is there and not being accessed before I
>> attempt the transfer.
>>
>> I've tried PASV, both upper and lower case,  mode, but ftp tells me
>> that's an invalid command.
>>
>> Could it be a port problem?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ernie
>>

> Have you tried to ftp a file from your pc to the same destination, you
> can just type the commands into the command window to replicate what
> your job is doing
>
> ftp -n -v
> ftp>open nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
> ftp>user xxxxxxxxxx password
> ftp>cd directory required if logon doesn't place you there
> ftp>binary
> ftp>put TESTFILE
> ftp>quit
>
> This should test that you at least have the correct permissions on the
> target to put a file.
>
> at the ftp> prompt you might also try a dir to list the files on the
> target you may get a different helpful error.
>
> If that all works and your on the same lan/subnet as the HP3000 then as
> Craig Says you may be into looking at what ftp version you are running.
> If your direct ftp may be taking a different route to the target than
> the HP3000 would, then try finding some other hardware on the same route
> as the HP3000 and try the ftp from there.
>

> --
> Alan Yeo
> [log in to unmask]    Just because you're paranoid
> Phone +44 1684 291710   it doesn't mean someone isn't!.
> Fax   +44 1684 291712

Linkway Software Limited
10 St. Andrews Road, Droitwich Spa, WR9 8DN
Company Registered in England and Wales - No. 7152515