HP3000-L Archives

September 2011, Week 5

From:
Alan Yeo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:18:52 +0100
In message
<[log in to unmask]>, Craig
Lalley <[log in to unmask]> writes
>--- On Thu, 9/29/11, Dave Powell, MMfab <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

<snip>
>2:  If your PC dies (anything that would have been a reload situation on a
>real HP3000) do you get up & running faster on the Stromasys than a reload
>would have taken on a real HP3000?
<snip>

>The Emulator works with VMWare, and snapshots are supported.

I think what is being missed here, and its early day so a lot of people
have a bunch of issues to think through. But in essence we are talking a
paradigm shift in possible back up options.

Sure you could continue to use STORE/RESTORE to tape and/or disc to give
you a granular mode to restore individual file(s) but the emulation mode
means that it far more practical to just snap shot the complete system
without any of the interruption of a Store or 3rd Party backup (ignoring
on-line backup) Recovery from a snapshot point could be almost
instantaneous. Even if you still want the granularity of an MPE backup,
even here I would look to snapshot the current position, boot another
emulated VM and do the STORE there, again no interruption.

Apart from just doing what you have always done, there are a lot of
possibilities with this to do things better in ways that would have been
impossible on the HP3000 itself.

Interesting Times

--
Alan Yeo
[log in to unmask]    Just because you're paranoid