HP3000-L Archives

August 2011, Week 3

From:
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James B. Byrne
Date:
Sat, 20 Aug 2011 22:19:31 -0400
On   Date:    Fri, 19 Aug 2011 15:21:45 -0500, michael

> Yesterday, HP was in the perfect position to bring the tablet to
> business applications with the Linux based TouchPad, which was HP's
> response to the Apple iPad, but more in-line with business
> applications.
> HP spent $1.2 billion for Palm in March 2010, and similar to ten
> years
> ago, in August 2011, HP dumps it without warning, and without any
> regard
> to partners and customers.
>
> I almost bought one, and had plans to develop business solutions
> for the TouchPad. HP has shown that you can't have any faith in
> a company (HP) that appears to be fully invested into an idea to
> invent, even if they themselves have invested billions of dollars,
> they've proven that they will throw everyone (including themselves)
> under the bus in a heartbeat!
>
> The HP way,
> HP Invent,
> HP WTF!
> --
> Mike.

The short answer is: do not buy anything from any publicly traded,
joint stock, company, that you plan to depend upon for the long
term. Period.  The so-called efficiency of the market on the stock
exchange amounts to a roulette wheel and companies that thereby
choose to dance to the tune whistled by gamblers have no vision
beyond that of the end of their own nose.  Instead, buy from private
firms that have some idea of what it takes to stay in their own
'business' and are not beholden to speculators.

The accomplishment of HP's shareholders is that the last bits of HP
gear at our firm will be gone by year end ( with the sole exception
of the HP3000), and good riddance.

The pity is that the stock and commodity markets could be returned
to their basic function overnight if governments decided to do it.
All it would take is a 100% capital gains tax on sales of
investments held for less than 12 months.  Bingo, companies have
access to capital and the gamblers will flee to somewhere else.

James B. Byrne                mailto:[log in to unmask]
Canada  L8E 3C3