HP3000-L Archives

July 2011, Week 4

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jul 2011 23:02:56 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Craig
<[log in to unmask]> writing at 14:34:16 in his/her local time opines:-
>I was reading this story to my 3 year old this morning.  I was reading
>because after the update, there was no sound.  (the books made no
>sound, the piano etc...)
>
>I am going to try and uninstall / reinstall.
>
>-Craig

Hi Craig

Interesting...

We downloaded it with the update already installed, but when my wife
showed it to me - very impressed - there was no sound.

I didn't realise there was supposed to *be* any sound until we got to
the piano, which made me think there *ought* to be sound. As indeed
there is.

But I'm not quite sure how we got it back :-(

I knew Starwalk was supposed to make sound, so I switched to that. No
sound. Hmm. Then I plugged headphones in. Sound on those, just fine.

Then we went to Settings, to see what might be what.

Apple did a mega-stupid thing in an earlier iPad update, turning the
Lock button, which stopped the screen rotating when you rotate the
device, into a Mute button instead.

The howls of protest could be heard for miles, but gained particular
traction when it was pointed out to Apple that the box the thing comes
in describes the button as a Lock button, so they would have either to
fix this, change the packaging, or appear in court charged with
breaching the Trades Descriptions Act (and/or its US equivalent).

In a later update, Apple created a new Settings item whereby you could
choose if this button was Lock or Mute. We had it set to Lock.

But Marie toggled this setting from Lock to Mute, misunderstanding clear
instructions I had given her to do something quite different, and then
back to Lock.

This seemed to fix things (grrrrr :-) ) and FFB then burst forth in
glorious sound, through the iPad speakers, impressing us even further.

On reflection, Marie thinks the iPad has been oddly silent for quite a
while past, but hasn't run an app that actually needed sound through the
speakers lately.

My 'To-do' list for tomorrow was to examine the hypothesis that if you
make that button do Mute, and press it, and then redefine it as Lock,
you can't get any sound through the speakers as it won't let you unMute
unless/until you redefine it as Mute and then unMute.

But I could be wrong here.

Before doing anything else; does FFB have sound through headphones, but
not the external speaker(s)?

Can you hear Starwalk (or some other app with sound) through the
speakers, but not FFB?

And, nearly finally, if you repeat our stumbles through the Settings
menu, does the sound return?

Upshot: it may be FFB at fault, but we thought it was the iPad; and we
got FFB sound 'back' without a reinstall.

Roy