HP3000-L Archives

July 2011, Week 3

From:
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James B. Byrne
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:07:19 -0400
I am testing a remote job on our HP3000 streamed via an FTP session
under the control of a Linux host.  Up to this point I have
maintained two versions of essentially the same job file, one for
testing and one for production.

This of course leads to the problem of reconciling any changes made
to one with the other.

The jobs are written so that the specific environment, production or
testing, is established at the top of the job file and all
processing within the job file is altered accordingly.  So the two
files are (or should be) virtually identical saving only that the
job cards differ.

Presently I test the HPJOBNAME variable to determine which job is
which.  However, I could instead test for the existence of a
specially named file in the HPGROUP the job logs into and use that
instead.  Further, there may be other methods to accomplish this of
which I am unaware.

Given that I consolidate the two job files into one my questions are
these:

Is there any way to invoke the stream command such that one can set
the job card and then 'include' the job body from a file or
otherwise set the JOBNAME at the moment of STREAMing?  This method
has to work using the the SITE STREAM command from inside ftp.

Assuming that there is no way to alter or set the HPJOBNAME from
what is provided in a job file, what are the problems, if any, that
people have encountered using the semaphore file method?

Are there any other ways to accomplish setting the job environment?

James B. Byrne                mailto:[log in to unmask]
Canada  L8E 3C3